Students at Garfield are assessed in many areas throughout the year. Parents will receive a notification letter about the testing their child will have as well as the results of each test.
The FCPS Grade Level Tests webpage (see link below) offers testing information for each grade level including:
- Purpose of test,
- Time of year when test is typically scheduled, and
- Estimated amount of time student will need to take test.
The state of Virginia has established achievement tests that are administered at the end of 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th grades to measure the mastery of curriculum. The Standards of Learning Tests (SOLs) test students in the areas of reading, writing, math, history and science. Please plan around the dates that will be scheduled (sometime from early May to early June) so that your child is available during the testing timeframe.
- Grade 3 – Math and Reading
- Grade 4 – Reading and Math
- Grade 5 – Science, Math, and Reading
- Grade 6 – Reading and Math